Friday, September 14, 2012

All Mixed Up: A Linguistic Kerfuffle

Language. Such a wonderful word to say, but not a wonderful word to understand.  Language is the root of all cultures and civilizations, and as difficult as it is to understand notions of nation it is even harder to understand the complexities that arise when two nations, or in this case languages, come into contact.  A change takes place that can never be undone.  When it comes to post-colonial societies language barriers have been taken down, reconstructed, appropriated, re-appropriated, and twisted beyond recognition.

This results in multiple difficulties and challenges that the post-colonial society must face when it comes to defining one's self in relation to one's language.  The linguist Johann Gottfried Herder once proposed the concept that "a particular language is the core of a particular Volk, a people or ethnic group, and to mix language is to lose one's core" (Doris Summer "Language, Culture, and Society" 5).  It can be inferred that what Herder meant was that language is connected directly to one's being, one's soul--a "soul" language if you will.

Therefore it comes as no surprise that the major argument, when it comes to understanding and resolving colonialism and its effect on the indigenous language, is whether the colonized should maintain a linguistic purity by rejecting change and all those that have been consumed by it, or accept the changes that have taken place by rebuilding a new post-colonial hybrid culture where both languages are embraced or even manipulated for the sake of authenticity.  WOW, what a mouthful!!!
As a p.c. scholar, this argument is one of great importance, and an argument that one must be comfortable facing.  Thus, a linguistic kerfuffle exist within the post-colonial world of studies, as well as the post-colonial societies of the world.  How does one go about understanding such a problem? Why choose purity over diversity, diversity over purity? For the sake of what and whom? Why bother which such a mindbogglingly confusing question?

Question: How does a p.c. scholar go about solving or understanding such a linguistic kerfuffle? 
Answer: Simply by understanding both sides of the argument.

Ngũgĩ Wa Thiong'o in his scholarly journal article The Language of African Literature provides his own specific answer to this intrinsic and monumental post-colonial argument.  Thiong'o takes the side of linguistic purity for the sake of creating true "African" literature.  Thiong'o's argument is that when colonization had taken place in Africa "English became more than a language, it was the language, and all others had to bow before it in deference" (149).  Here, Thiong'o describes the hierarchy that was created when Africans and Europeans first came into contact--a hierarchy of binaries.  Submission and appropriation.  Master language and indigenous language.  One language was therefore destined to become inferior, and in this case English became the master and all others became subservient.  This is important because Thiong'o also states that "Language, any language, has a dual character: it is both a means of communication and a carrier of culture..[and that it]..is [an] expression of a relation between human beings and it is specifically human" (151).   In order to establish control Europeans understood that they must infiltrate the very core of the indigenous people, so Thiong'o is simply showing the way his language was deconstructed and appropriated so that he and his people were forced to give themselves over to other forms of foreign communication. The colonized become less then human if language is so deeply connected to being human.  Thus "domination was the mental universe of the colonized, the control, through culture" (153).   Thiong'o best summarizes this act of control and its effect as "colonial alienation" and such control has "disastrous" consequences on the colonized (154-155).   Because of the deconstruction of their culture through language a division took place between fellow colonized--those who embraced English turned on their own indigenous culture and became what Thiong'o calls elitist "petty-bourgeoisie" (159).  Thiong'o's purpose for highlighting these negative consequences of colonization is the simple fact that the English language is, in his eyes, an oppressive force. To Thiong'o, the English language represents a hegemonic force that has usurped the African experience and the African aesthetic.   So it would seem that Thiong'o's answer to the pc linguistic kerfuffle is that the only way to free one's self  from colonial control is through one's soul language.  It would also seem that to Thiong'o that those who do write in the language of the colonizer are some how tainted, unable and unworthy to call their work true African literature.

Thiong'o champions linguistic purity, but let's take a look at the other side of the argument. Salman Rushdie in his scholarly journal article "'Commonwealth Literature' Does Not Exist" offers another answer to the pc linguistic kerfuffle. Rushdie thinks the type of anti-colonial sentiment that Thiong'o embraces is not necessary when it comes to the English language (64).  Instead Rushdie views the English language as progress or as a means to create progress.  Colonialism has taken place, and Rushdie makes the valid point that "English has become the world language" (64). There is no point in dwelling in the past.  As such there is also no point in rejecting it because "those peoples who were once colonized by the language are now rapidly remaking, domesticating it, becoming more and more relaxed about the way they use it--assisted by the English language's enormous flexibility and size, they are carving out large territories for themselves within its frontiers" (64).    Rushdie envisions a re-appropriation in which the colonized reverse the control that has taken place.  He sees the manipulation of the English language as a means to decolonize; the subservient become the masters and the masters become the subservient.  A reversal of roles.  The most important part of Rushdie's argument is linguistic hybridity.  Although he does not use the term hybridity Rushdie uses the word eclectic which is what he calls the "ability to take from the world what seems fitting and to leave the rest, has always been a hallmark of the Indian tradition, and today it is at the center of the best work being done both in the visual arts and in literature" (67). Beautiful prose!   However, he also notes that the "reality of the mixed [or eclectic  tradition is replaced by the fantasy of the purity" that some how the only way forward is through dwelling in the past mistakes of the colonizer(67).    Finally, commonality is what should unite all forms of English literature; just because a writer may not be from Britain or America does not mean that they should be considered "Commonwealth" writers, as he puts it "The English language ceased to be the sole possession of the English some time ago" (70).

Two extremely different answers to this linguistic kerfuffle, but only one truly provides a positive and inclusive  answer.  Rushdie argues that there should be harmony and that English is surely a possession had by all people of the world.   Thiong'o is correct in feeling the way he does about the English language because he sees the destruction of a truly unique culture, his culture by the hands of English.

But how can you truly show the colonizers what they have done if they are unable to understand you? Because as we all know to well, English has become, as Rushdie puts it the "comfortable" means of communication.  How can you reject and exclude those who are products of cultural contact? Linguistic contact hybrids.   Linguistic purity rejects those who are different through linguistic control, just as colonization did so many years ago.  Personally I agree with Rushdie, that English studies and literature should operate on the process of inclusion and not exclusion because at the basis of language is communication, as Thiongo puts it, language and communication are synonymous and are what make us human.  It doesn't matter what language one speaks, what matters is that we speak at all.

11 comments:

  1. Sean,

    Though you clearly elucidate the nature of Thiong'o and Rushdie's arguments, I'm not sure it is necessary to privilege one perspective over the other for conceptualizing post-colonial language issues. Thiong'o recognizes that the unique qualities of varying languages (languages used to construct "African Literature" as the main examples here) represent the diversity of ways in which humans interact with and communicate about reality; this diversity is valuable, I think, much like the ever-dwindling biological diversity on Earth. Rushdie, on the other hand, recognizes that hybridity is inevitable in profound ways in post-colonial cultures. Rather than mourning this hybridity and the loss of linguistic purity, Rushdie's perspective allows us to recognize--and hopefully celebrate--the development of what may eventually become a global language (for better or worse!)and the impact of such a development on existing languages.

    In works of science fiction, such as Star Wars, there is often a common, galactic language. In this case, this shared language among many races is called "Basic." At the same time, the aliens or other human civilizations speak their own languages, preserving linguistic multiplicity while still honoring particular languages.

    Maybe the answer is that everyone in the neo-imperial global society should be multilingual. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign me up for multilingualism! I'm trying, actually. I took 6 years of Spanish in high school and undergrad #1, and I still love the language. I've been picking up French words and phrases for years (love it as well). I seriously would like to learn Gaelic to honor my Irish heritage... I have a friend from the Netherlands who speaks Dutch, English (like a native -- he's been reading full-length novels in English since 6th grade), German and French. He's literate in all of the above. Then he found out he had relatives in Italy, so he learned enough conversational Italian to navigate his way around the country and visit with his relatives. I found that an example to emulate. Ivo was my inspiration for trying to learn some conversational French while my students inspire me to dust off my Spanish and get really fluent. I actually find it easier to read Spanish because I can tell what the words are. When people speak quickly, they all get schmeared together and it's harder to tell. Just think, if everyone in the world spoke at least two languages, the chances of being able to communicate with anyone any where would increase exponentially. Then maybe there would be a lot less judmentalism and misunderstanding. At least I would hope so.....

      Delete
  2. You're right,the answer would seem to be a multilingual world, but unless people can learn tolerance I don't think that will ever happen. Look at all the people in America who use the slogan "This is America. Speak English" WHAT THE HELL! As if our own language should have prioritity even though we boast that were the multicultural capital of the world. I guess thats why I sort of favored Rushdie's answer because he releshies diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean!

    I love that you’re bringing our textbook from Dr. Bleach’s class into our discussion! I was thinking of doing the same thing, and I figured that I already had so much to say about our po-co material! The detail about “losing one’s core” is certainly appropriate since this concept seems to sort of sit marinating at the center of this week’s materials regarding language. What you write seems parallel to what I pulled from Rushdie’s story about feeling conflicted rather than liberated by the merging of two or more cultures as part of one’s identity. I can understand feeling that there is a sense of loss, abandonment, or neglect if one loses their language, whether intentionally or as a result of colonization. However, by mixing languages, how is it that one can feel the loss of what makes them who they are? Of course, I can’t speak from personal experience; however, I’ve known plenty of people whose native language was not English, who arrived here or were raised here in the states, who continue their lives as bilingual or trilingual adults. Am I naive in thinking that the addition of new languages becomes their new, more evolved identity? Or is the idea here that when the colonized begin to speak the language of the colonizer, there is a loss of identity and a tragic surrendering to “the enemy”? I don’t think this is what it meant by our Eng. Studies text, Sean...so this definitely bothers me. I know I’ve mentioned Spanglish before; does this idea make such a language more of an abomination rather than an innovation? Blah!

    Your suggestion of hybridity is interesting. I was just talking about language the other day with either Jordan or Cait. It’s funny to note that whenever I used to visited places where Spanish was the native language (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic), I was an excited middle-schooler, anxious to use what I had learned with native speakers. However, whenever I spoke with any of these people, they were all too happy to accommodate me (the tourist!) with the wonderful English they had learned! Yay! I’d always leave with my family thinking Okay, great, I guess I’ll get to practice when we get home and I go back to Spanish class. In cases like this, Sean, I feel like authenticity is implicated due to the fiscal necessity of a linguistically hybrid culture. So, to answer your question in your fourth paragraph above, sadly, I think it is often for the sake of money.

    I think you hit the nail on the head when you say, “The colonized become less than human if language is so deeply connected to being human.” This is exactly what takes place--dehumanization. I tend to agree more with Rushdie’s logic as it pertains to English as the world language and the refusal to neither dwell in the past, nor reject it. However, I lack the experience of colonization, and hence, the robbery of my native language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I know the type of people you’re referencing in your response to Jordan. If we think back to that essay in our text for Dr. Bleach’s class (Language), the author suggests that when we speak, we are instantly transported to the place where that language is either spoken or where it originated. It would seem that the people we see in line at the grocery store or the pharmacy who seem insulted, infuriated, and downright bitter at the sound of another language besides English being spoken (either by two people or an entire family) are angry because these people are choosing to communicate with their native tongue, hence, rejecting America (and everything we think it stands for) and temporarily traveling somewhere else, somewhere better than America. We are a nation of such supersensitive, blindly patriotic hypocrites; I’ve been told many times that since I’m critical of our government, I should just leave. Yeah, because that’s practical and logical. Let’s not make attempts to better our country, let’s just leave if we don’t like what’s happening, move away from our family, friends, and jobs. IF YOU DON’T LIKE AMERICA OR SPEAKING ENGLISH, YOU CAN JUST GET OOOOUT!” Oh, and fyi, taking an anti-war stance = not supporting our troops, apparently! GET OOOOOOUT!



    I had to post again bc blogspot limits the characters posted?! Lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no patience with those people either, Jenny. I was out with my family and my brother's family, and one of his friends who was there started talking about how he did exactly that to a Spanish-speaking family in Walmart in the customer service line. He had no idea what a kerfuffle (love that word, Sean) he was about to start. I explained what I do for a living and how I am working on my ELL certification. I told him about my students and how the ones from Allentown don't get a very good education or the educational opportunities that those of us who graduated from wealthier suburban schools do. I told him about students who had similar experiences with people like him and explained that they often speak their native language so older family members who do not have the same opportunities to learn and to practice English can keep up with the conversation. By the time I was done with him, he was making all kinds of excuses for why he behaved like a jerk (the line was long, his head hurt, he couldn't take any more noise, etc). His wife was great...I swear she was egging me on the whole time. I also asked him how he would feel if he had to move to another country to make a living wage and he was treated like that. It felt great to finally sort of give one of those English only people a dose of a different perspective. I had just completed a history of bilingual education in the U.S. and a research project on the education curriculum of Finland for a curriculum course, so I dropped some of that on him too. This is going to sound kind of evil, but I absolutely postively enjoyed exposing him to himself for behaving like an ignoramus.

      I'm surprised no one has told me to GET OOOOUUUUUUTTTTTT! yet because I am not quiet with my opinions anymore. Oh well, in the event that should happen, it seems like plenty of fine people will be told to get out with me. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Americans as a "nation of such supersensitive, blindly patriotic hypocrites." Also your point about how people think we shouldn't fix things, we should just leave. I don't get the "my country wrong or right" mentality either. We should try to make things better -- at least that is something worth fighting for.

      Delete
    2. Maybe music is a language we can all understand. I think you might appreciate these lyrics from the Jackson Browne song "For America":

      As if I really didn't understand
      That I was just another part of their plan
      I went off looking for the promise
      Believing in the Motherland

      And from the comfort of a dreamer's bed
      And the safety of my own head
      I went on speaking of the future
      While other people fought and bled

      The kid I was when I first left home
      Was looking for his freedom and a life of his own
      But the freedom that he found wasn't quite as sweet
      When the truth was known

      I have prayed for America, I was made for America
      It's in my blood and in my bones
      By the dawn's early light, by all I know is right
      We're going to reap what we have sown

      As if freedom was a question of might
      As if loyalty was black and white
      You hear people say it all the time
      "My country wrong or right"

      I want to know what that's got to do
      With what it takes to find out what's true
      With everyone from the President on down
      Trying to keep it from you

      The thing I wonder about the dads and moms
      Who send their sons to the Vietnam's
      Will they really think their way of life
      Has been protected as the next war comes?

      I have prayed for America, I was made for America
      Her shining dream plays in my mind
      By the rockets red glare, a generation's blank stare
      We better wake her up this time

      The kid I was when I first left home
      Was looking for his freedom and a life of his own
      But the freedom that he found wasn't quite as sweet
      When the truth was known

      I have prayed for America, I was made for America
      I can't let go till she comes around
      Until the land of the free, is awake and can see
      And until her conscience has been found

      http://youtu.be/yh_2nxTUATk for the video...great images as well.

      By the way, Jackson Browne is the son of an American serviceman...this song was released on the album Lives in the Balance in 1986, the year I graduated with a B.A. in journalism from IUP. I actually owned this album. On vinyl.: ) Still rings true!

      Delete
  5. I love the questions you asked and agree whole heartedly with you! Hmm maybe there is a way tha I can set a higher limit for the word count when it comes to responses let me work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I am going to try ONE MORE TIME to submit a comment to your blog; I don't know why none of my stuff is going through; I think it's the computer at my work. I'm trying from school now...

    While Rushdie would prefer a sort of global abrogation of English--what Jordan gave a great analogy of with BASIC--, Thiong'o believes that this isn't good enough. While certainly, the universal appropriation of English has allowed, to paraphrase Thiong'o, many Commonwealth and colonized writers to explain themselves to the world, via English, I'm not sure that Thiong'o is interested in "show{ing} the colonizers what they have done." I believe that he could, in actuality, give a fuck about explaining ANYTHING to them. He wants to speak for himself, in the language of the peasantry, to describe his feelings for and of his country in, as you beautifully put it, his "soul language." The concept of using the master's tools to burn down the master's house may leave a bad taste in the mouths of those who, prior to colonization, believed that THEY were their own masters.

    I also equate, as does Thiong'o, the predominance of mandated English with the rise of the comprador "petty bourgeoisie" classes. Perhaps this is why the largely unemployed, largely arabic speaking, largely non-western citizens of Tunisia have begun the process of destroying an American school occupying their territory. The school trains bank employees--the petty, English speaking bourgeoisie. This is the natural consequence of centuries of colonization; pure, unadulterated fury at the West. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I love the idea of fur for at the west, however, sometimes that fury can be a little to much. When you constantly walk around and have a chip on your shoulder you are unable to get past whats been done to you. You see everyone as an enemy. That kind of mentality gets you no where in life. And I love the fact that Thinog'o is able to keep in touch with his roots, but is it fair of him to criticize those who are unable to get past the change that has been wrought on them? Just a few thoughts.

      Delete
  7. WOW, I had no idea this amazing conversation was happening all week. Clearly, I need to check my notification settings.

    I think the idea of hybridity will continue to inform this discussion. What does it mean when something new needs to come out of something horrendous in many ways? I really have nothing more to add--everyone already said everything I was going to say, but way more eloquently.

    ReplyDelete